Here is a list of the 10 healthiest foods that experts believe will slow down the aging process and protect yourself from degenerative diseases and other illnesses. These super foods also contain vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients. They are also known to be energy boosters. Without further ado here is our top 10 healthy foods list:
1. Broccoli – Broccoli is packed with nutrients and antioxidants. It helps fight cancer, especially colon, breast and lung. It is also known to boost your immune system. Contains more than 100 percent of your daily vitamin K requirement and nearly 200 percent of your recommended daily allowance for vitamin C (essential bone building nutrients). All this from just one medium stalk of broccoli.
2. Citrus Fruits – These citrus bioflavanoids found in grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges contain antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. Consuming just one lemon provides more than 100 percent of your recommended daily allowance for vitamin C. It is known to strengthen bones and increase your so called “good” HDL cholesterol levels. They also act as an anti-inflammatory that will slow down the growth of cancer cells with inhibiting blood clotting properties.
3. Beans – Legumes (peas, beans, lentils) are excellent sources of vitamin B, protein and fiber. Also a good source of iron and zinc. Beans have been found to lower bad cholesterol (LDL), regulate blood sugar and reduce your risk of cancer and heart disease.
4. Spinach – Spinach is high in antioxidants which will destroy the free radicals that cause your body damage. Spinach is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, immune-boosting antioxidants that lower the risk of macular degeneration (poor eyesight). Loaded with fiber, Vitamin C and calcium. In the fruit and vegetable group, Spinach is one of the most effective when it comes to fighting cancer. It is also rich in folic acid, which is known to help lower blood pressure.
5. Organic Eggs – Not only are eggs an incredible source of high quality nutrients, but they are also remarkably inexpensive for those of you who are on a tight budget (who isn’t these days). Some experts recommend that you eat the eggs raw to preserve it’s rich nutritional value. When you cook the eggs it loses most of it’s nutritional value.
6. Raw Nuts – Raw nuts are rich in protein, vitamins B and E, minerals manganese and copper. Walnuts consist of omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce cholesterol. Almonds help reduce cholesterol as well. Nuts have found to have both anti-heart disease and anti-cancer properties.
7. Berries – Berries are one of the best fruits there is. Nearly all berries are rejuvenating tonics for your blood and heart. They are high in fiber and low in sugar. Will help protect the cells in our body and help to reduce the risk of diseases like cancer. Several studies have shown that a daily serving of berries, rich in potassium, can decrease your risk of stroke. Also an excellent source of Vitamin C. Blueberries for example are rich in antioxidants.
8. Garlic and Onions – Garlic and onions, both members of the allium family, might well be called ‘miracle’ foods. Why? Both contain allicin, the active constituent which produces medicinal benefits such as lowering ‘bad’ cholesterol and blood-pressure levels. Garlic is a powerful disease fighter that can inhibit the growth of bacteria. Garlic is also a natural antibiotic. And research is mounting that garlic reduces your risk for various forms of cancer.
9. Fish Oil – Loaded with beneficial omega-3 fats including DHA. Helps prevent heart disease, cancer and many other diseases. Increases your energy level and provides greater resistance to common illnesses such as flu and cold. Some experts believe that fish is contaminated with mercury and dangerous PCBs so many recommend that fish oil should be taken in liquid form from a high-quality reputable brand.
10. Avocados – Helps to protect against heart disease and stroke. Lowers bad cholesterol levels, but also increases good cholesterol. Avocados also helps to increase the absorption of nutrients. It has shown to prevent and protect against different forms of cancer.