You may feel stuck in the career you are in which does not seem to be moving anywhere. There is may be no sight of a promotion; and as if to rub salt into your wounds, there may also appear to be people who move fast up the career ladder. This is the time that you should you realize a couple of facts as to where could you have possibly gone wrong and what should you do in order to put your career back on the fast track.
To begin with, do not take for granted that tuning up your career is easy and that there is one magic formula to do this. Here are the five most important steps that you can adopt to help your career regain lost ground.
Important 5 Steps To Tune Up Your Career
Each step is broad in its expanse and reach that you can easily further divide it if necessary. But as you see they are all interrelated, so omitting any one step will break the chain.
1. Revisit Your Lifes Goals to find out whether you need to restate your goals again. Considering that the goals you had set for your career as a teenager have now lost significance, you need critical examination so that you will not repeat the mistake of setting smaller goals. Your responsibilities have probably gone up over the years and the need for money is more important than you had expected.
2. Set Goals Measurable In Terms Of Money. Agreed, money is not everything, but it is also true that money can help a great deal. If you look around, most of the problems are connected to money at the root. May be because of this, George Bernard Shaw famously said “Lack of money is the root of all evil.”
3. Knowledge Is Power. As time passed by, everything that you learned in college has changed, and keeping abreast with current practices not just keeps you above board but helps you cover lost ground. For example, the accounting procedures which were in practice ten years ago are no longer relevant, with the WTO bringing in GAAP (generally accepted accounted accounting practice.) This is also true of all professions such as medicine, law and engineering.
4. Create Your Niche And Become An Expert. Becoming an expert in any field not only calls for tremendous subject knowledge but also problem-solving abilities. You develop expertise in more than one domain.
5. Boost Your Marketability. Your career will take an upward turn only when you posses and market the qualities that are in demand. This means gaining expertise either by additional training or by education, marketing through existing and new networking, preparing a good resume, and most importantly showing results in your present career. In this situation, actions definitely speak louder than words.
It is an uphill task tuning up your career but the end result will be well worth the effort.