The capital of Nilgiri district, Ooty is the Queen of hill stations, which is also known as ‘The Blue Mountains’. The beautiful Kurunji flowers that bloom every twelve years, spread a blue hue in the valley that bestows the name ‘Blue Mountains’. Once the summer capital of Madras Presidency, Ooty has now become a popular tourist destination that allures tourists from different parts of world. If you are also planning a holiday to Ooty, then you can book Bangalore cabs and make your journey joyful and comfortable. But before you plan your vacation, here are five things that you need to know about Ooty.
- Where To Stay – Most of the hotels in Ooty provide rooms with beautiful view of the luscious green valleys. The small town includes accommodation ranging from budgeted hotels to luxury villas. So, tourists can choose a hotel depending upon their requirement and budget. Some of the good hotels and resorts in Ooty include Gem Park, Savoy Hotel, Delightz Inn Tiger Hill Resort, Meadows Residency, Fairstay Holiday Resort and Fern Hill.
- Where To Eat – Ooty is distinguished for its home made chocolates, breads, buns and cakes. If you wish to savor the local cuisine, then there is nothing much better than local bakeries. Many restaurants here prepare Madras cuisine, but there are some junctions, where you can also delight in the delectable, spicy and aromatic Chettinad dishes. If you wish to dine in a hotel with great ambience, food and atmosphere, then you can try Earl’s Secret, Big Bite Chicken, The Garden Café, Nahar’s Sidewalk Café and Shinkows.
- Where To Shop – If you are a shopaholic, then you must visit Commercial Road. Here you can find government outlets, Khadi Gramudyog Bhavan and many Kashmiri shops. Apart from this, Green Shop, Tibetan Market and Higginbothams are some popular shopping spots where you can buy honey, tea and other organic products that are harvested by local farmers.
- What To Do – Ooty is known for its natural splendor and exquisiteness. The best way to explore the hill station and its lush green tea estates is through trekking. Ooty provides many long and short treks, which fascinates numerous enthusiastic tourists. If you are also willing to try your hands on trekking, then you can choose to trek in the second highest peak in Western Ghats, Dodabetta. It is nearly 10 kilometers from Ooty and you can easily reach the destination by booking a cab from Bangalore to Ooty. A trip to Ooty is always incomplete without a ride on ‘Nilgiri Toy Train’. The train moves slowly at a speed of 33 km/hr and crosses the quaint town, Mettupalayam. It covers a total distance of 46 kilometers and is fun
- When To Visit – Ooty is a destination that can be visited throughout the year. With pleasant summers, beautiful monsoons and cool winters, Ooty is a place that is attractive in all seasons. But if you wish to enjoy the beauty of flowers in this picturesque hill station, then February to March is the ideal time.